The new-generation Dano '57 has the same look and sound as the original model U2, prized by tone freaks everywhere. They feature the same lightweight, semi-hollowbody construction, with plywood frames, and hardboard (a.k.a "masonite") tops and backs.
Build quality is superior to the older versions and the easy-playing neck is comfortable and solid, with excellent action. Combined with a U3 tunable bridge/tailpiece, these new models are much more dependable than their predecessors.
The Dano ’57 features the improved Lipstick-tube alnico pickups, famous for Danelectro’s distinctive ‘quacky’ tone. They retain the quality of the original pickups in a quieter, punchier form.
Other features include a clear pickguard and 2 stacked volume/tone knobs with 3-position pickup selector switch. Very cool.
- Body Semi-hollow, plywood sides w/ hardboard top and back
- Finish Solid top/back; Tape-finished sides
- Neck Maple neck w/ rosewood fingerboard, 21 frets
- Scale length 25” scale
- Nut width 1.65” nut
- Pickups 2 x NOS+ Lipstick Alnico
- Controls 2 x concentric (stacked Volume & Tone) knobs
- Bridge/tailpiece Wraparound/tuneomatic-style
- Pickguard Single-ply plastic “Seal”-style
- Tuners Kluson-style individual tuners
- Case/Bag —
Why We Like It
Danelectro guitars and basses have been around since the '50s, and the list of Dano players has included Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck and many other greats. Lightweight construction, "lipstick" pickups and distinctive quack set them apart. Made overseas and finished in California, this newest generation of very affordable Danelectros are as quality as they are quirky. We love 'em.