Fender made so many great tube amps in the 1960s, with speaker configurations and wattages to fit just about any situation. One of the classics was the 2x10", 35-watt Vibrolux Reverb. Compared to the 18-watt Deluxe and its single 12" speaker, the Vibrolux was better equiped to handle a gig, but not as unweildy as the heavier Super Reverb and Twin Reverb, the other reigning champs of the day.
With a nod to modern playing styles, Fender has done a nice job with this updated version. Two Celestion Ten 30 10" speakers give a little more focused sound and the two channels have been given seperate, but very usable voicings.
The “Vintage” channel is the traditional Fender sound: bright, full, powerful and clean. The “Custom” channeluses a modified Bassman tone stack for beefier tone and greater flexibility, especially with pedals. It also overdrives at slightly lower volumes and offers greater touch sensitivity. The Celestions offer a little more growl, a little less brilliance than the standard Vibrolux sound.
Both channels can access the reverb and vibrato. And even with the modifications, both offer classic American tone.
Why We Like It
The '68 Custom series has really impressed us. Voicing the two channels separately makes sense and adds another level of expression, even without getting into Master Volumes or gain staging. Celestions saturate nicely and round out the tone, while letting the player use dynamics and pedals with equal ease. The '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb is perfect for clean-style players who also like tonal flexibility and plenty of dynamic expression.
Speaker: 2 x 10” Celestion Ten 30 (4 ohms)
Wattage: 35 watts
Power Tubes: Groove Tubes (2 x6L6)
Preamp Tubes: Groove Tubes (4 x 12AX7 / 2 x 12 AT7)
- Custom Channel: Bright Switch, Volume, Treble, Bass
- Vintage Channel: Bright, Vol, Treble, Bass, Reverb, Speed, Intensity
Cabinet Construction: Baltic Birch Ply
Faceplate/Finish/Grille: Silverface / Black textured vinyl / Silver/Aqua grille cloth
Weight: 41 lbs.
Dimensions: 15.5” W x 14.5” H x 8 3/4" D
Cover /Casters: Optional cover
- Wattage: 35 watts
- Speaker: 2 x 10” Celestion Ten 30 (4 ohms)
- Power Tubes: Groove Tubes (2 x6L6)
- Preamp Tubes: Groove Tubes (4 x 12AX7 / 2 x 12 AT7)
- - Custom Channel: Bright Switch, Volume, Treble, Bass
- - Vintage Channel: Bright, Vol, Treble, Bass, Reverb, Speed, Intensity
- Cabinet Construction: Baltic Birch Ply
- Faceplate/Finish/Grille: Silverface / Black textured vinyl / Silver/Aqua grille cloth
- Weight: 41 lbs.
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 15.5” W x 14.5” H x 8 3/4" D
- Footswitch: 2-button
- Cover /Casters: Optional cover